• Announcements

• Piers

Registration turned off   07/28/18

ots spam our site everyday and we're too lazy to clean it up so we're just closing registrations. If you've lost access to your account contact pretty much anybody on ts: mm-rs.org. 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Just Bipolae

Well Arent You Glad You Didnt Invest In Bitcoins

30 posts in this topic

bitcoin-thumb-600x391-130105.jpgBitcoin freefall: the market plummets as large amounts of bitcoins are sold off at rock-bottom prices - bigger circles correspond to larger transactions (Image: Mt. Gox)

Following reports of theft last week, the Bitcoin community suffered another major loss of confidence yesterday when its largest exchange, Mt. Gox, was compromised, causing Bitcoin's value to fall from around $17.5 to just a few cents.

Although the online peer-to-peer currency has no central authority, Mt. Gox has become one of the most important Bitcoin players by allowing people to convert bitcoins to US dollars and back. As Mt. Gox's owner Mark Karpeles explains, the site itself was not hacked, but someone gained access to a computer used by one of Mt. Gox's auditors and stole a read-only copy of its database containing details of over 60,000 accounts.

The attacker then attempted to sell coins from one large account, but was prevented from emptying the account by a $1000 per day withdrawal limit. Even so, the sale caused the value of Bitcoin against the dollar to completely collapse.

Karpeles says that no other accounts were compromised and all trades will be rolled back to before the time of the hack, restoring Bitcoin's value to $17.5. Mt. Gox will also require every user to go through an authentication process to verify ownership of their account, since the leaked database contained encrypted user passwords that if cracked could allow access to other accounts.

While these measures should go some way to restoring faith in Mt. Gox and Bitcoin in general, they are a far cry from Bitcoin's promise of complete decentralisation. Some comments on the Mt. Gox forum are protesting the roll back, but it seems that even digital currency enthusiasts want some form of protection when large amounts of money are at stake. The principles behind the currency itself remain sound, but without a secure way to exchange bitcoins for real-life money, many Bitcoin holders will be looking to cash out.

RF0LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

R0FLLLLLLLLLLLLL TOOOOOO FUNNY IM SO GLAD I DIDINT LISTEN TO MORONS BLABING ABOUT BIT COINS

YOU CANT HAVE A CURRENCY ON SCARCITY ALONE L00000000000000000000000000000000L

Never head of Bitcoin.

Rofl

Im glad i dint lol, i was gunna

what is this

Ouch.

what is this

peer to peer virtual currency

Was considering this, but my procrastination saved me I guess.

GG, money never sleeps.

and nothing of value was lost?

k0

R0fl. Well, if there's any chance of the project staying alive I'd invest pronto.

yea i doubt it will go much lower than it has

yeh invest now if its only a few cents, it could rise again. still though cy@ whoever invested

Im glad i dint lol, i was gunna

If you planned on it now is the time. They cheap as fk and are due to rebound soon.

inb4 "wtf how i get butcoinz "

So glad I didn't invest.

lol

Thank god I didn't become rich.

dodged a bullet LOL

Super Glad -.-

My brother flipped counterstrike skins few years back for 100k$ got bored and cashed out all to bitcoin at 300$ each. hes now multi millionaire GG

1 hour ago, D4rk said:

My brother flipped counterstrike skins few years back for 100k$ got bored and cashed out all to bitcoin at 300$ each. hes now multi millionaire GG

You guys should pay to keep the forums going for us