• Announcements

• Piers

Registration turned off   07/28/18

ots spam our site everyday and we're too lazy to clean it up so we're just closing registrations. If you've lost access to your account contact pretty much anybody on ts: mm-rs.org. 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Doom

Rares

86 posts in this topic

The subject of rare items is one which has been at the forefront of the community since before Old School came out. The discussion surrounding rare items has been varied with everyone having their own opinion on, if and how they should be implemented into Old School. From the amount of talk about this subject we could see that we would have to act on this very soon, but how could we do it fairly so that everyone could have an informed say?

The biggest challenge for us was how to deal with all the “ifs” that were out there, “I would like rares back if….” and we wanted to put out this Dev Blog to show you why the upcoming vote for rare items will be the way it is.

Simply asking if rare items should come back isn’t going to answer the question properly. Analysis of the Official Rares Discussion thread showed us that we needed to clarify what rare items are and give you the opportunity to answer these three questions.

1. Would you like rare items return in some form?

2. If you vote for rare items to return, would you like the currently tradeable rare items to remain tradeable?

3. How would you like rare items return?

Clarifying what rare items are is easy, here’s a list:

• Tradeable Rare Items
    • Easter eggs from 2002
    • Pumpkin from 2001
    • Halloween masks
    • Santa Hat
    • Christmas crackers
    • Party Hats
    • Disk of returning
    • Half full wine jug
    • Untradeable Rare Items
      • Bunny ears
      • Scythe
      • Yo-yo
      • Rubber Chicken
      • Zombies Head
      • Hats and Scarves from Christmas 2005
      • Marionettes
      • Easter ring
      • Skeleton set
      • Jack lantern’s mask
      • Reindeer hat
      • Wintumber tree
      • War ship

Questions one and two are straightforward, but your answer to question three will depend on whether you vote for rare items to return and whether they return as tradeable or not. This means that we need to poll these questions a week before we poll you on how you would like the items to return.

We pulled the most popular ideas on how to deliver rare items into the game from the Official Rares Discussion thread to create a list of options which you can have a say on. If you vote for some items to be tradeable, we will run this poll for both tradeable rare items and non tradeable rare items so you can decide how you would like each type to be delivered.

The current version of the polls and the dates for when these will happen are listed below. We’d love to get your feedback on these.

Rare Item Poll 1 (To run from midday from 11th April 2013 to midday 18th April)

[*]Would you like rare items return in some form?

[*]If you vote for rare items to return, would you like the currently tradeable rare items to remain tradeable?

Rare Item Poll 2 (To run from midday from 18th April 2013 to midday 25th April)

Which of these ways would you like rare items to be distributed? Each of these questions have a yes or no answer.

[*]Distribute them using similar mechanics as you did before (dropping them, holiday events)

[*]Appear as a very rare reward from a treasure trails

[*]Distribute them through very rare monster drops

[*]Have an NPC shop you can buy rare items from for a small amount of GP

[*]Have an NPC shop you can buy rare items from for a large amount of GP

[*]Have them given out as rewards from community events

[*]Give one of each rare item to every old school player

[*]Have them appear as very rare drops when skilling

[*]Introduce new seasonal events for each of them

Please make sure you only access the poll through http://oldschool.runescape.com and not follow links from third parties to the polls. We won’t send out exclusive invites to take part in any poll.

Thanks,

Mod Mat K

Would lay down massive bank for bunny ears.,

Appear as a very rare reward from a treasure trails

To give everyone equal chances of getting one. Me likes

no they shouldn't return the reason they were so special was the original way they were distributed it wouldnt work this time around

Only if I will get one

will vote rares in clue scrolls i guess

Gonna be s**t if they implement any of those methods, there will be loads of people with 10+ member account bots just camping whatever has a chance of dropping them lol

no

dont want any tradeable rares

Sarcasm?

Sarcasm?

Have them appear as very rare drops when skilling

It would have to have this included too then

Sarcasm?

No, I think this would be the most fair way to implement the in to the game. It would also give people an incentive to actually complete clue scrolls instead of leaving them on the floor.

If you look at the 3rd age armour that still is valuable now in EoC while it is also around in the 07 servers it shows that very rare clue items hold their prices very well.

Would lay down massive bank for bunny ears.,

Used to have bunny ears and scythe, the novelty wears off.

I'd say sell them in a shop for 1gp ea. They'd be worthless and purely implemented for fun, not value, which was the original intended purpose.

if it keeps regenerating then it loses it's "rareness" and just gonna be something common..

should do an event wheres they're dropped and that's it

Don't like the clue idea... pures have a hard time completing clues. And I'm a pure.

Obviously everybody is going to vote for the option that seems the best for the own individual, but I'll vote for:

-Introduce new seasonal events for each of them

-Distribute them using similar mechanics as you did before (dropping them, holiday events)

because those options are fair. Everybody can get them and that's the best solution imo

Honestly I think the clue scroll reward is the best idea for the tradeable items. For non-tradeables I would say the event for them and for ears/scythe I guess drop them from some new event or keep them in CS rewards but I would be kind of mad if I got a 'really really really rare' non-tradeable.

I just want the untradeables.

Ye they should just because they are neat and i would rather buy rares with my gp then mass whips or something later on when staking,

Do not like the clue idea cause i am a pure,

would prefer seasonal options or dropping them - or if they want them to become not that rare give everyone 1 random rare but have different chances on them? So that say the majority gets a santa/pumpkin/easter and a rare amount get a cracker?

idk

They should be sold at a "rare shop" at an absurd price, say 700M for a blue partyhat, and they cannot be traded. Money comes in to the economy, and then goes out because people desire a paper hat.

They should be sold at a "rare shop" at an absurd price, say 700M for a blue partyhat, and they cannot be traded. Money comes in to the economy, and then goes out because people desire a paper hat.

Exactly this the wwhole point of rares was the cash drain.

For the untradable (scythe, bunny ears..), we should be able to get those we had acquired in 2007. I want my scythe back ;(

Have an NPC shop you can buy rare items from for a small amount of GP

Should implement them like this. It'd be fun really since everyone could get them. Having them as drops from monsters, NO. Community events, NO. Clue scroll rewards? NO!

I think it'd be fun

no they shouldn't return the reason they were so special was the original way they were distributed it wouldnt work this time around

yeah cept that got duped the fk out anyway early into their existence