• Announcements

• Piers

Registration turned off   07/28/18

ots spam our site everyday and we're too lazy to clean it up so we're just closing registrations. If you've lost access to your account contact pretty much anybody on ts: mm-rs.org. 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
decency

f**k Your Union Jack, We Want Our Country Back

194 posts in this topic

lols

14qpp8n.jpg

despite what salmond has said, if you look objectively at the way the EU has positioned itself the last few weeks, it really looks like they will require scotland to reapply for EU membership...

Economic suicide. Good luck.

Serious question: do passionate Brits against Scottish independence actually care about the Scottish folk's welfare or are they butt hurt because the UK will be losing a lot of money?

Either way hope Scotland does well. GL m8s

I don't think the majority of the Scottish people fully realize the benefits of being tied in to a much, much more powerful entity than you would be on your own.

you've been watching way too much braveheart

lols

14qpp8n.jpg

ayyyyeLMAO

Never going to happen.

Also, if it did, Conservatives would win every single general election from now on.

Your watching far too much benefits street and reading the daily record mate. 50% of people on benefits are pensioners and another high percentage of people are disabled or are working in zero hour contracts who can't get enough hours to make up a full time wage. Right now the UK has to reduce it's national debt that it's built up over the last 10 years and one way of doing that is by making cuts to the public spending budgets such as benefits, cutting and selling off other public services like the post office. So they make television shows like benefits street and constantly drip stories in to the news about people with 34343 children who get big houses and lots of money yet have no job. This is propaganda which fools the public in to thinking all these people are scrounging. Then they make cuts to the budget as they see fit punishing the disabled and most vulnerable people in our society with bills like the bedroom tax. People need to remember that it was the bankers who lost all the money, we should be punishing them instead with heavier taxes and bonus caps.

Yes, you should be punishing people for being successful, that way other people won't become evil bankers and taint your tax revenues with their evil money. Brb leaving one of the largest economy's in the world and then increasing taxes on the wealthiest people, surely people will want to invest in Scotland, rather than say the rest of the United Kindom where there are lower taxes & more confidence in the economy. Those people/company's, who may leave Scotland if they become independent, contribute to the economy so that you can enjoy the relatively low tax rates / high benefits which you already have. Not to mention the free trade agreements the UK already have around the world, the economic power of the UK as a whole, EU membership etc.

I dont really understand your "Free education and a free health service is far more important than illegal wars in Iraq, Afganistan and nuclear weapons (which are also kept in our waters btw)." point. We have free primary and secondary education, college education is free till the age of 18, then 50% fee till the age of 23. I agree that education should be free to a college level and that it should be free till 23 but i dont agree that university should be free. It could certainly be cheaper, but not free. I dont see how you can justify the large number of bachelor of arts degrees which are nothing but an excuse to get boozed for 3 years and not work.

We already have free healthcare, infact the Scottish parlimant have slashed more of the NHS Scotland budget than the UK goverment has slashed the NHS England budget resulting in a better service of care in NHS England.

And on the subject of illegal wars, i dont care how much of a hippy someone can be. The middle east requires intervention if you like it or not, its a shame our money is being spent on it, but it is required. I would even justify fighting for resources if thats all it came down.

I dont understand your reference to trident, the nuclear subs are part of our defence system, its inevitable one day we will be attacked and they will be required. Its better to look foward than look back in hindsight.

On the point about the budget being calculated and you get what you put back. Scotland taxxes account for £800 more per person per year on average. The Barnett Formula gives you an exta £1200 per person per year on average. Thats a return if you will of £400 per person. With a population of 5.3 million, you cannot turn around and say you are being s**t on and not receiving appropiate funding. If anything the lack of equality means youve been profiting of the rest of the UKs backs for many decades.

It has been reported many times that the north sea oil reserves peaked in the 80s and have of course been declining ever since, they are reported to dry up within 15 years although Salmond mystically appears to believe theyll last decades. How long is that exactly? 20-30 years?.

And finally, if you believe a goverment will put its people before profit, you are being very naive.

Edit: Scotland cant just break off without taking all their share of the debt, running at 10 billion + loss every year

(this isnt me looking at Uks best interests, i reckon we might do well off without Scotland, im looking at Scotlands best interest.)

I can assure you that Scotland will be a better of country without the rUK after independence. The only thing your politicians care about is our oil and gas reserves and keeping weapons of mass destruction in our waters. Education is for everyone, not just the well off. Hospitals are more important than invading countries for their natural resources.

Laughed so hard at this.

If Scotland leaves, then you're basically f****d and it will also have a huge impact on N.I/Wales/England which is terribly selfish.

How about use your head rather than following your heart, that's if you even have a brain in there.

If Scotland was going to be "f****d" without England why are your war mongering, tax scrounging politicians begging us to stay in the union? Surely if we were such a burden to the UK it would be a good idea to let us go? Also Scotland can default on the debt because the UK treasury is responsible for all UK dept. We want to take our share of the debt and pay it off but only if we can a fair share of the assets (bank of england as a lender of last resort).

Serious question: do passionate Brits against Scottish independence actually care about the Scottish folk's welfare or are they butt hurt because the UK will be losing a lot of money?

Either way hope Scotland does well. GL m8s

Thank you mate

I don't think the majority of the Scottish people fully realize the benefits of being tied in to a much, much more powerful entity than you would be on your own.

Like the EU?

Never going to happen.

Also, if it did, Conservatives would win every single general election from now on.

Momentum is with the Yes at the moment, by Friday I'm predicting a 60%-40% yes win.

Yes, you should be punishing people for being successful, that way other people won't become evil bankers and taint your tax revenues with their evil money. Brb leaving one of the largest economy's in the world and then increasing taxes on the wealthiest people, surely people will want to invest in Scotland, rather than say the rest of the United Kindom where there are lower taxes & more confidence in the economy. Those people/company's, who may leave Scotland if they become independent, contribute to the economy so that you can enjoy the relatively low tax rates / high benefits which you already have. Not to mention the free trade agreements the UK already have around the world, the economic power of the UK as a whole, EU membership etc.

The UK will be holding an in out referendum on the EU shortly anyway, the best way to guarantee Scotland EU membership is a yes vote. Sorry mate but the bankers haven't been successful, do you remember 2008.

You answered nothing. Tells me alot.

The only thing your politicians care about is our oil and gas reserves and keeping weapons of mass destruction in our waters

All OUR politicians care about is oil and gas reserves. The SNPs whole debate is based around fossil fuel reserves.

As for trident that you mention briefly again, you arent as smart as you think you are if you dont think a defence system is necessary. Im starting to think you havent really considered both sides of the arguement.

I can see the UK surviving without the Scots, i just cant see it the other way around. Makes no difference to me, except when we have bail to you out like Ireland. Scotland goes, so does its £12.1bn deficit and its 14-odd billion Barnett. Oil's only worth £5.1B - so the union comes out ahead.

Wasn't the only survey they did where it showed 51-49% for "yes" only 1,000 people? And then a couple days later it showed a bigger survey and they had 52-48% for "no"? Not heard of any more since though.

woot go for it you guys deserve it :victory: :a

You answered nothing. Tells me alot.

The only thing your politicians care about is our oil and gas reserves and keeping weapons of mass destruction in our waters

All OUR politicians care about is oil and gas reserves. The SNPs whole debate is based around fossil fuel reserves.

As for trident that you mention briefly again, you arent as smart as you think you are if you dont think a defence system is necessary. Im starting to think you havent really considered both sides of the arguement.

I can see the UK surviving without the Scots, i just cant see it the other way around. Makes no difference to me, except when we have bail to you out like Ireland. Scotland goes, so does its £12.1bn deficit and its 14-odd billion Barnett. Oil's only worth £5.1B - so the union comes out ahead.

It's ridiculous to say Scotland can't make it on it's own. Even the leader of better together Alasdair Darling and also David Cameron have publicly said that Scotland could make it alone. There is untapped oil on the west coast of Scotland at the moment that we're not aloud to drill for because of Trident. A country of 5 million people shouldn't be harboring American nuclear weapons when there are people who work and have jobs, yet need to rely on food banks to survive.

Wasn't the only survey they did where it showed 51-49% for "yes" only 1,000 people? And then a couple days later it showed a bigger survey and they had 52-48% for "no"? Not heard of any more since though.

The latest ICM poll has yes at 54% and no at 46% with 9% undecided. I don't really listen to the polls that much because I don't know one person who has voted in them or has been asked to vote in them.

woot go for it you guys deserve it :victory: :a

ty m8

edit:

Scotland has only 8.3% of the UK's population. 8.3%! Remember this important figure... 8.3%

But we DO have...

32% of the land area.

61% of the sea area.

90% of the fresh water.

65% of the natural gas production.

96.5% of the crude oil production.

47% of the open cast coal production

81% of the untapped coal reserves

62% of the timber production

46% of the total forest area

92% of the hydro electric production

40% of the wind wave and solar energy production

60% of the fish landings

30% of the beef herd

20% of the sheep herd

9% of the dairy herd

10% of the pig herd

15% if the cereal holdings

20% of the potato holdings

...obviously 100% of the Scotch w*****y industry.

We have a...

17 billion pound construction industry

13 billion food and drink industry

10 billion business services industry

9.3 billion chemical services industry

A 9.3 billion tourism industry

7 billion financial services industry

5 billion aeroservice industry

4.5 billion pound w*****y exports industry

3.1 billion pound life sciences industry

Scotland still has 350 million pounds worth of textile exports

We have 25% of Europes wave and wind energy potential.

And finally we are blessed to have 1.5 trillion pound worth of oil and gas reserves.

All of this, yet only 8.3% of The UK's population...

im just wondering, I dont care enough to research this but you say people have jobs but still need food banks etc etc.

how does breaking away from the uk mean more jobs and less welfare?

im just wondering, I dont care enough to research this but you say people have jobs but still need food banks etc etc.

Most of these people are working 0 hour contracts in places like sports direct and poundland. They get sent to these places on trial after being unemployed for three months where they work 40 hours per week for "work experience" to get them back in to work but only receive their benefit money which is £120 every two weeks. After a couple of months, sometimes they get taken on to work there but only on a 0 hour contract where they aren't guaranteed 40 hours a week. In weeks where they work less than 16 hours, these people need to go back to the job center to re-apply for benefit to make up the extra money so they can pay their rent which takes about 3 weeks to get back benefits, by this time they have probably worked one week thats over 16 hours so they're not entitled to it anymore. These are the people who have to rely on food banks to live.

In an independent Scotland we would have the chance to spend the tax how we want, we're sick of seeing out budgets slashed while David Cameron and the rest of the Westminster elite club have a 11% pay rise.

Most of these people are working 0 hour contracts in places like sports direct and poundland. They get sent to these places on trial after being unemployed for three months where they work 40 hours per week for "work experience" to get them back in to work but only receive their benefit money which is £120 every two weeks. After a couple of months, sometimes they get taken on to work there but only on a 0 hour contract where they aren't guaranteed 40 hours a week. In weeks where they work less than 16 hours, these people need to go back to the job center to re-apply for benefit to make up the extra money so they can pay their rent which takes about 3 weeks to get back benefits, by this time they have probably worked one week thats over 16 hours so they're not entitled to it anymore. These are the people who have to rely on food banks to live.

In an independent Scotland we would have the chance to spend the tax how we want, we're sick of seeing out budgets slashed while David Cameron and the rest of the Westminster elite club have a 11% pay rise.

If you have all of this industry then why are so many people unemployed. You p**s and moan about Westminster and the government. Welcome to the real world idiot all politicians are the same, that idiot that you've got campaigning for the yes vote will be exactly the same. All parties 'top boys' are milking it, even the guys at the top of the unions 'for the people' are on 2, 3, 4 & 5 times more than their members.

Your arguments are pretty invalid, you could list these facts about any state in USA but you don't see them actively leaving the nation. If you look to rejoin the EU you don't have a guarantee they'll take you. You'd just be another pawn in another larger state, one that is a lot less interested in your welfare than London. And let's be honest, what do people in Edinburgh have in common with people on the west coast isles? What do you have in common with someone in the highlands? Pretty much nothing, not even your accents are similar.

I'm all for it boys, Yorkshire to become it's own county!!!! Why not!?!?

If you have all of this industry then why are so many people unemployed. You p**s and moan about Westminster and the government. Welcome to the real world idiot all politicians are the same, that idiot that you've got campaigning for the yes vote will be exactly the same. All parties 'top boys' are milking it, even the guys at the top of the unions 'for the people' are on 2, 3, 4 & 5 times more than their members.

Your arguments are pretty invalid, you could list these facts about any state in USA but you don't see them actively leaving the nation. If you look to rejoin the EU you don't have a guarantee they'll take you. You'd just be another pawn in another larger state, one that is a lot less interested in your welfare than London. And let's be honest, what do people in Edinburgh have in common with people on the west coast isles? What do you have in common with someone in the highlands? Pretty much nothing, not even your accents are similar.

I'm all for it boys, Yorkshire to become it's own county!!!! Why not!?!?

Scotland is a country, not a state or county. Secondly do you think for one second that the EU would welcome Romania in to the EU but not Scotland, an oil rich nation with the highest renewable energy potential in the whole of Europe? Currently Scotland are in political and fiscal handcuffs imposed by Westminster. The system is set up for London to be successful, Scotland and the rest of the working class in England have been feeding of the scraps for years. Remember the tax accumulated by these industries (that you refer to above) gets sent to Westminster first for them to decide how much our budget is. It's hard to create more jobs when you don't control these powers.

This topic has been an interesting read, decency you seem to have done quite a bit of reading into this. If it does pass, and if you have any good ideas regarding your local politics you should get them heard. It could get you a nice job because of the oncoming turbulence.

Yeah we better not get independence. All I'm saying is: currency union.

People who say "aww we can use the pound". Aye use it if you want but you've not got a lender of last resort and inb4anotherbankcrashesandbyebyesavings. I'm not even joking. We've just had a mental recession and aren't even out of it yet - it's not unlikely that it could dip again. All Salmond says is that they think they may get a union. Ohh, well why didn't you say so Salmond, if you think you'll maybe get one then fair enough, gamble with the country and shaft everyone's cash. 1)ick.

Let's even take the angle of Scotland not getting a currency union and not taking some of the debt. We're not going to see any benefits for decades and good luck to us trying to borrow money. I really don't see lenders giving us decent rates.

Furthermore, so multiple companies have already said that they will go down south with a yes vote, and this will result in job losses. I don't care if it's 5/5000 jobs they take with them, it's still jobs - that's making things even worse than it already is.

In terms of exports, we don't even own many, if any at all of the whis**y companies that are in Scotland - all owned by foreign countries. Yes there is oil but I honestly think that too many eggs are put on to one basket with the oil chat. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not confident in the figures. Then there is the border effect which is strong evidence that trade between an independent Scotland and the UK would decline. It's estimated that GDP would fall ~5.5% due to the border effect. Again we're just making things worse, surely?

I do not want them to, but I think Scotland will become independent. Salmond's lies seem far too appealing for far too many people.

Man, it's nice to be back on MM :)

Those surveys are misleading, b******t for the tabloids.

There's way too much speculation on the 'yes' side.

Scotland has been offered a lot already since this whole thing started. They should just take it and stay. Better off than they were 3 years ago anyway.

People who say "aww we can use the pound". Aye use it if you want but you've not got a lender of last resort and inb4anotherbankcrashesandbyebyesavings. I'm not even joking. We've just had a mental recession and aren't even out of it yet - it's not unlikely that it could dip again. All Salmond says is that they think they may get a union. Ohh, well why didn't you say so Salmond, if you think you'll maybe get one then fair enough, gamble with the country and shaft everyone's cash. 1)ick.

Let's even take the angle of Scotland not getting a currency union and not taking some of the debt. We're not going to see any benefits for decades and good luck to us trying to borrow money. I really don't see lenders giving us decent rates.

Furthermore, so multiple companies have already said that they will go down south with a yes vote, and this will result in job losses. I don't care if it's 5/5000 jobs they take with them, it's still jobs - that's making things even worse than it already is.

In terms of exports, we don't even own many, if any at all of the whis**y companies that are in Scotland - all owned by foreign countries. Yes there is oil but I honestly think that too many eggs are put on to one basket with the oil chat. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not confident in the figures. Then there is the border effect which is strong evidence that trade between an independent Scotland and the UK would decline. It's estimated that GDP would fall ~5.5% due to the border effect. Again we're just making things worse, surely?

I do not want them to, but I think Scotland will become independent. Salmond's lies seem far too appealing for far too many people.

The banks who say they are going to move their head offices down south like RBS and lloyds already have their head offices in London, this is a Unionist myth already been proved as a Better Together scare tactic. The super markets such as asda and John Lewis have been misquoted by the unionst tabliod papers and have since then back tracked on their statements in fear of a Scottish boycott in their stores. The reason a currency union will take place because it makes absolute economical sense for England as well as Scotland as we're their second biggest trading partner. So you think they will risk loosing millions of customers in Scotland just to prove a point? People in Scotland seem to forget, the pound sterling is as much ours as it is theirs because our oil reserves have ensured a very strong pound for years. Currently Guernsey, The Isle of Man and Jersey use the pound and they are not part of the UK, so why wouldn't Scotland use it?

This topic has been an interesting read, decency you seem to have done quite a bit of reading into this. If it does pass, and if you have any good ideas regarding your local politics you should get them heard. It could get you a nice job because of the oncoming turbulence.

Thanks mate, it's probably the biggest decision Scotland will make in it's history since deciding to join the union and 97% of the people who live here have registered to vote! I live in a massive Labour constituency which the Labour party are voting no but all it's constituency's are voting yes. It shows you how out of touch the party is with it's people. The labour party is meant to be a socialist party for the working men and woman but they have been right of center recently and are rapidly loosing support. The fear of a Conservative/Ukip coalition in Westminster is really a driving force behind a lot of people's yes vote.

There's way too much speculation on the 'yes' side.

Scotland has been offered a lot already since this whole thing started. They should just take it and stay. Better off than they were 3 years ago anyway.

Scotland has been offered nothing, there has been promise of more powers, just like Nick Clegg promised the students there wouldn't be an increase in School fees. Do you expect us just to roll over, stick with the status quo, keep voting Labour and sending the oil down south so the millionaires can keep receiving tax cuts while the working class continue to struggle for a proper job?

Those surveys are misleading, b******t for the tabloids.

Yeah those polls are b******t tbh, about 80% of the people in my area are voting yes, not one of us has been polled. The last icm poll showed yes a head at 54% though, the one before that was 52% no and another one before that showing yes at 51%. They probably walk through Govan after a Rangers game and ask 1000 people what they're voting lol.

The banks who say they are going to move their head offices down south like RBS and lloyds already have their head offices in London, this is a Unionist myth already been proved as a Better Together scare tactic. The super markets such as asda and John Lewis have been misquoted by the unionst tabliod papers and have since then back tracked on their statements in fear of a Scottish boycott in their stores. The reason a currency union will take place because it makes absolute economical sense for England as well as Scotland as we're their second biggest trading partner. So you think they will risk loosing millions of customers in Scotland just to prove a point? People in Scotland seem to forget, the pound sterling is as much ours as it is theirs because our oil reserves have ensured a very strong pound for years. Currently Guernsey, The Isle of Man and Jersey use the pound and they are not part of the UK, so why wouldn't Scotland use it?

It's not the banks going down south I was referring to, but touching on the topic - that's where my cash is going if it is a yes vote. In terms of Agon, Standard Life they've explained that they will leave. Yes they already have offices in England but they're saying that they'll move there completely and register their Head Office down.

As I said previously, people think we'll just use the pound and that's fair enough. The UK haven't said that we couldn't use the pound. We just don't have the benefits of last resort - which will guarantee people up to £85000 if a bank collapses. It's not Cameron and Clegg (whom I do not support by the way) who I was referring to regarding a currency union, it was Mark Carney the governor who said that a currency union would be improbable . One of my more favourite quotes:

"You don't get divorced and keep the shared account".

Respect your decision but I think we're leading Scotland down a dangerous path by taking independence. This isn't a general election, we can't just decide in 4 years that we don't like it and go back.

It's not the banks going down south I was referring to, but touching on the topic - that's where my cash is going if it is a yes vote. In terms of Agon, Standard Life they've explained that they will leave. Yes they already have offices in England but they're saying that they'll move there completely and register their Head Office down.

As I said previously, people think we'll just use the pound and that's fair enough. The UK haven't said that we couldn't use the pound. We just don't have the benefits of last resort - which will guarantee people up to £85000 if a bank collapses. It's not Cameron and Clegg (whom I do not support by the way) who I was referring to regarding a currency union, it was Mark Carney the governor who said that a currency union would be improbable . One of my more favourite quotes:

"You don't get divorced and keep the shared account".

Respect your decision but I think we're leading Scotland down a dangerous path by taking independence. This isn't a general election, we can't just decide in 4 years that we don't like it and go back.

There has been many scare stories from the UK government which say that Scotland can't use the pound. Even direct lies from George Osbourne and the BBC as seen bellow which have all proved to be lies.

FtjMmVk.png

Now on Standard Life, they have a legitimate reason for saying they want to move south because most of their customer base is English. If Scotland had a different currency which was different to a 1:1 ratio to the pound it would hurt their already falling profits forcing them to move down south to save money from transaction/exchange costs etc. As you stated above though, no one can stop Scotland from using the pound though either way, via a currency union or through defulting our debt and using sterling without a formal agreement. Lets say we don't have a currency union and instead decide to go with sterilization and defaulting on our share of the UK debt, we still keep a 1:1 ratio keeping these business's like standard life trading with no extra cost in Scotland as England would keep Scottish customers for all their business's with no extra cost, yet the uk treasury has now taken on Scotland's share of the debt and Scotland loses out on the bank of England as a lender of last resort, which is bad for us but not the end of the world. Who do you think has the shorter straw here? The debt free oil rich country with a higher gpd than the UK and France or the country with the central bank and all of the UK debt to bare on it's shoulders?

I respect your decision as well mate but the people capable of running Scotland the best, is the people that live and work in Scotland.

edit: I had to edit my post because I f****d it up, was ever the best at English at School which is why I now work in a packaging facotry lol