• Announcements

• Piers

Registration turned off   07/28/18

ots spam our site everyday and we're too lazy to clean it up so we're just closing registrations. If you've lost access to your account contact pretty much anybody on ts: mm-rs.org. 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jack_x2yz

Guide To Setting Up A Screen Recorder

28 posts in this topic

JACK_X2YZ's guide on how to record runescape

For a long time I have been scouring the internet to find the perfect software and codecs to film runesape with. The current "standard" for runescape recording is to use camtasia studio with the TSCC codec. There are several flaws with this, firstly is the weight of camtasia studio it's self, its a glutens program that doesn't agree with runescape causing most players sever lag. Secondly camtasia uses a three second countdown, which obvious if you wish to record your fights is not very practical. Another down side to camtasia is that you are meant to pay for it after the 30 days or over, I wanted to find a completely free alternative. I downloaded literally hundreds of screen recorder and codecs, testing them all out for compatibility with runescape. I believe Debut with the TSCC codec is the best screen recorder out there.

Step 1: Installing

Step 1 - Part 1: Download and installing TSCC

Click this link http://download.techsmith.com/tscc/tscc.exe and install the codec

Step 1 - Part 2: Download and installing Debut

Click this link http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/debutsetup.exe and install Debut (make sure to only install debut, it trys to trick you into installing more)

Step 2: Set Debut to use the TSCC codec

Step 2 - Part 1:Open debut and click the "screen" button at the top (it's the selected button in the image below) and you should see a screen much like this one (see below) In the bottom left corner it says "record as" with a drop down box next to it (Saying .avi in the picture) click it and make sure it's set to .avi

screen1xl.png

Step 2 - Part 2: Next to where you just set Debut to record as a .avi there is a button saying "Encoder Options" click it, a new box should appear Make sure it looks like the following

screen2ny.png

Step 2: Part 3 - Next click the "Edit Output..." button next to the "Encoder Options..." button and make sure it looks like the following

screen3nt.png

Step 3: Setting the record area

Step 3 - Part 1: Along the top there should be a button saying "Selections" if you refer back to the first image it's clearly visible, there is a little diagram of a white screen. Click this button and this screen will open

screen4r.png

click Add Rectangle and follow the on-screen instructions. After selecting a name, click on the option that should have been generated in the white section and click "use this selection"

Step 4: Options

The option section is really up to you, customise it for how you want to use it. The options are rather user friendly and straight forwards. In this section you can set what happens when you press record, wether it bleeps, minimizes etc. You can also change the default hotkeys. There is also a usefull option under the "other" tab called "Sound Record Tone Every (seconds)" this option will bleep every 30 seconds (default) when recording, this is the only indication to remind you it's still running, I have had times where I have accidental ran the recorder for several hours because I forgot it was turned on. Also if you would want to utilise the snap shot utility change the compression type to .png under the snapshots tab.

And that's it, you should now be able to record quickly and easily, just click the big red button or the keystroke (default is Shift+F6) then click stop recording when your done (default is Shift+F7) then simply navigate to your output folder (default is C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Videos\Debut) Thats it, you have now recorded footage! Now you just need to open up your editing software of choice and edit it!

Credit: Jack_x2yz - author and researcher

Speshls Own - Editor

Pump - Test dummy

im guessing this will be much higher quality than hypercam/camtasia.

What we really want is for you to making a guide for editing vids(like common effects and the likes. Also stuff like adding music to video, not even sure if its done like that) Also this guide would need link to vid editting software

I've not found any really good free editing software yet, I have however been looking! A guide like that is on my to do list though, also the final result will be exactly the same as filming with Camstasia as that also uses the TSCC codec (TSCC stands for Techsmith screen capturing codec)

Have you tried Fraps?

I just downloaded it today and I must say, its jolly great. Only downside is the massssssssssssssssssssssssive clip files that save on your PC. Honestly though, it's worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq965iaghuw&feature=fvst

^ How I got it. It's free. Pirated, but who cares?

Yeh, I've tried Fraps, but like I said I wanted a 100% free guide.

Have you tried Fraps?

I just downloaded it today and I must say, its jolly great. Only downside is the massssssssssssssssssssssssive clip files that save on your PC. Honestly though, it's worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq965iaghuw&feature=fvst

^ How I got it. It's free. Pirated, but who cares?

after confirmed i will download, cuz i have 1tb hdd

i wont record the exact area that i chose with the rectangle, but the offset isnt too big so not that big of an issue

good quality

There are several flaws with this, firstly is the weight of camtasia studio it's self, its a glutens program that doesn't agree with runescape causing most players sever lag. Secondly camtasia uses a three second countdown, which obvious if you wish to record your fights is not very practical. Another down side to camtasia is that you are meant to pay for it after the 30 days or over, I wanted to find a completely free alternative.

You can just use the recorder on it's own and it won't be as heavy.

You can disable the countdown.

You can pay for it.

Else than that, the 60 FPS is too high with my PC, it doesn't lag me, but the video output is like 10 fps or less.

There are several flaws with this, firstly is the weight of camtasia studio it's self, its a glutens program that doesn't agree with runescape causing most players sever lag. Secondly camtasia uses a three second countdown, which obvious if you wish to record your fights is not very practical. Another down side to camtasia is that you are meant to pay for it after the 30 days or over, I wanted to find a completely free alternative.

You can pay for it.

Else than that, the 60 FPS is too high with my PC, it doesn't lag me, but the video output is like 10 fps or less.

It has to be at least 24 frames per second for the eye to persevere it as motion. The recorder on it's own is still heavy, and yeh I just found out you can disable the countdown, and I don't really want to recommend stealing software to everyone.

You can pay for it.

It has to be at least 24 frames per second for the eye to persevere it as motion. The recorder on it's own is still heavy, and yeh I just found out you can disable the countdown, and I don't really want to recommend stealing software to everyone.

Well, I'm getting better results when I run the recorder on it's own, I only vid at 15 FPS with it though, although it looks good.

And yeah, I don't recommend stealing software either. JACK EDIT: You know what was here Bert

Thanks.

camtasia be good enuf

fraps is s**t because it makes huge files

Works fine for me, cool guide tbh... Thanks

gud guide :)

10-09-26122634.jpg

every time i click record that pops up, what did i do wrong?

try reinstalling the codec V

nice guide.

This is actually a great guide. Camstudio and Camtasia always lag out my videos, and I never knew a good video compressor to use, so thank you very much.

There is no "selections" at the top like shown above. I can select the area I wish to record but cant choose the selection so I can record only that area. Please help.

thank you

very nice guide, thanks

I've not found any really good free editing software yet, I have however been looking! A guide like that is on my to do list though, also the final result will be exactly the same as filming with Camstasia as that also uses the TSCC codec (TSCC stands for Techsmith screen capturing codec)

Wouldn't that be TSC Codec or just TSCC?

usefull not to lag

great guide, mine recently expired.

Will use.